Merck to present innovative products for displays, lighting and photovoltaics at the IMID in Ilsan (Korea) and the FPD International in Yokohama (Japan)
• IMID: Merck to focus on isishape etching paste concepts for efficient and eco-friendly structuring of substrate surfaces in touch panel and silicon solar cell manufacturing as well as isiphorTM efficient lighting materials for LEDs
• FPD International: Merck to present PS-VA technology and its advantages over conventional LCD technologies
Seoul, Korea/Tokyo, Japan, October 9, 2009 – Merck KGaA announced today that it will be exhibiting at the IMID (International Meeting on Information Display) from October 12 to 16, 2009 in Ilsan (Korea) and at the FPD International from October 28 to 30, 2009 in Yokohama (Japan). The global pharmaceutical and chemical company will be highlighting its innovative products for the display , lighting and photovoltaics segments.
The Merck product range includes licristal liquid crystals, licrivue® reactive mesogens, livilux materials for OLEDs (Organic Light Emitting Diodes) lisicon, organic electronics, isishape printable etching pastes as well as isiphorTM phosphorus materials for LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes). Merck is the world leader in manufacturing and marketing liquid crystals for liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Liquid crystals from Merck are used in displays for LCD televisions, notebooks, PC monitors, mobile telephones, in avionic and automotive navigation systems, digital cameras, camcorders, clocks and watches, measuring equipment and many other digital displays. More than 2,500 patents are evidence of Merck’s innovative strength. Merck will be presenting its complete product portfolio for displays, lighting and photovoltaics at both exhibitions. At the IMID 2009, one of the main display industry events in the region, Merck will be showcasing the isishape®und isiphorTM product ranges. isishape comprises printable etching pastes that can be used to selectively etch antireflective coatings and passivation layers, for example silicon dioxide (SiO), silicon nitride (SiNx2) and silicon (Si), as well as transparent conductive materials such as indium tin oxide (ITO).
Merck has consequently developed an innovative concept for efficient, environmentally friendly structuring of substrate surfaces. This technology will enable the touch panel and photovoltaic sectors to capture new markets and application areas over the long term. Merck has thus created a sustainable, long-term alternative that addresses cost pressures and environmental protection concerns. With isiphorTM, Merck offers a broad range of efficient lighting materials (“phosphors”) for use in resource-saving LEDs. They enable the realization of a wide variety of color-ondemand concepts ranging from warm to cold white light. Four experts from Merck will be holding presentations at the IMID:
• Keynote Address: Innovation for Future, Speaker: Jürgen König, President & Managing Director, Merck Advanced Technologies Ltd., Korea (October 13, 2009, 10:00 – 10:30 a.m.)
• Inorganic LED Conversion Phosphors, Speaker: Dr. Holger Winkler, Senior Manager R&D/Advanced Technologies Germany, Solid State Lighting, Merck KGaA, Germany (October 13, 2009, 12:05 – 12:30 p.m.)
• Advanced Liquid Crystal Materials for PS-VA Mode, Speaker: Seung Eung Lee, R&D Manager, Merck Advanced Technologies Ltd., Korea (October 13 2009, 3:10 – 3:35 p.m.)
• Printing Materials for the next Generation of PV Application, Speaker: Richard Harding, RM Regional Project Manager, Merck Advanced Technologies Ltd., Korea (October 15, 2009, 3:10 – 3:35 p.m.)
At the FPD International, the leading event for the flat panel display industry worldwide, Merck will be presenting not only its complete product range, but in particular liquid crystals for PS-VA technology (PS-VA = Polymer-Stabilized-Vertical-Alignment). Compared with conventional LCD technologies, the novel technology for liquid crystal displays offers greater contrast, increases switching times and reduces power consumption. The colors appear fuller, warmer, and more natural. In addition, the spatial depth of the display is greater and movements are more lively.
Merck at the IMID 2009 Stand 4180, KINTEX (Congress Center), Ilsan, Korea Merck at the FPD International: Stand 2701, Pacifico Yokohama (Congress Center), Yokohama, Japan
Detailed information about the complete range of Merck products is available at www.liquidcrystals.merck.de
All Merck Press Releases are distributed by e-mail at the same time they become available on the Merck Website.
Please go to http://www.subscribe.merck.de to register online, change your selection or discontinue this service.
Merck is a global pharmaceutical and chemical company with total revenues of € 7.6 billion in 2008, a history that began in 1668, and a future shaped by approximately 33,000 employees in 60 countries. Its success is characterized by innovations from entrepreneurial employees. Merck’s operating activities come under the umbrella of Merck KGaA, in which the Merck family holds an approximately 70% interest and free shareholders own the remaining approximately 30%. In 1917 the U.S. subsidiary Merck & Co. was expropriated and has been an independent company ever since.