BayWa r.e., global renewable energy developer, service provider and distributor, has announced its 2023 ambitions for its Wind Projects team, with sights set on developing larger portfolio wind farms across Asia Pacific (APAC).
With offices in Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Japan, Korea, Malaysia and Australia, BayWa r.e. services the entire lifecycle of wind farm developments in these target markets. From greenfield prospecting for suitable locations with high potential for wind energy, to developing these sites into proposed wind farms, the team has been successful in delivering quality projects on time and within budget.
In APAC, the Wind team at BayWa r.e. is currently developing multi gigawatt of wind projects, with new projects and partnership opportunities being constantly added to its pipeline, as follows:
- Australia: Along with successful construction and operation of four wind projects in Victoria, development of large-scale wind projects which will have an installed capacity of up to 1 GW each, and another eight separate projects totaling 3 GW, ranging from 1 GW to 100 MW, in the works
- South Korea: Development of wind farms of several hundred MW ongoing
- Vietnam: Developing wind farms of over 300 MW, including a large portfolio of mountain wind farms to deliver power to north Vietnam where power is needed most
- Thailand: Awaiting results for VSPP projects that qualified for the current FiT tender and expect to start construction of our first project in 2024
- Philippines: In its nascent stages of development with wind projects of several MW underway
To this extent, BayWa r.e. APAC Wind team’s pipeline has the potential to generate more than 15 TWh annually, enough to power more than 2,000,000 households in APAC.
Brian Barry, Head of Wind Asia, BayWa r.e. said “We recognise the importance of regulatory support and corporate partnerships in advancing wind energy in the region. Our team welcomes any project opportunities and are open to market information from various industry sources to provide our superior services. With hands-on-ground in the markets we are committed to, BayWa r.e. Wind Projects’ long-term goal is to become a name in the region synonymous with excellence in renewable energy.”
To expand its wind energy portfolio, BayWa r.e. APAC actively seeks partnerships with other companies developing wind projects to jointly co-develop those projects, contributing over 30 years of knowledge, experience, and capital. Purchasing entire projects and carrying out development till construction is also part of its expansion strategy.
Daniel Gaefke, APAC Director, BayWa r.e. added “Our accomplishments in APAC thus far are just a few of many milestones we hope to achieve. We have greater plans for the future, and we want to drive the adoption of wind energy in this region. Whether it is constantly adding to our investment pipeline or seeking opportunities to expand further in our markets, we will continue to strive for growth for the overall wind energy industry and for our business.”
As part of building a sustainable business, community engagement continues to be an important part of wind farm development for BayWa r.e. APAC. In addition to the development and construction of wind farms, the team also carries out extensive Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) projects to benefit the communities where they work. These projects involve building community infrastructure, sponsoring community initiatives, or involving the communities in the project investment.