• News
  • Press Releases
  • Renewable News

ASCO wins major contract to provide services to the UK’s biggest freeport

Global integrated logistics and materials management specialist, ASCO, has been awarded a major contract to provide a range of services at Teesworks in North East England, the UK’s largest freeport.

The contract, which will run for an initial term of three years, represents a significant move forward for the company, which is building on its existing oil and gas and wider energy expertise to grow its footprint in new energy markets around the world.

The work, which will include quayside planning and scheduling, operations coordination, vessel scheduling, stevedoring and internal distribution services, will focus on Teesworks’ South Bank Heavy Lift Quay, which incorporates a new 450-metre quay to service the offshore energy sector.

Aberdeen-headquartered ASCO was selected as the partner due to its track record of service delivery for major energy industry operators across the UK and around the globe, and for its comprehensive suite of services. ASCO expects work to begin in the summer this year, with the first vessel expected to berth in September 2024.

The project is expected to create up to 65 local direct jobs, who will work for ASCO at the port.  If required, training will be provided to ensure they meet ASCO’s standards in the delivery of the quayside operations required to deliver the contract. This contract will support the local supply chain and regional employment opportunities, creating hundreds of indirect jobs.

Teesworks is being developed as an integrated energy hub and will include new energies such as hydrogen, CCUS, and offshore wind projects, including monopile manufacturing by SeAH Wind.

ASCO CEO, Mike Pettigrew, said: “The South Bank Quay is a flagship project for ASCO which will propel us along the right track right at the start of 2024, en route to achieving our future goals. It confirms and reinforces our intention to make significant investment into increasing our footprint in the new energies sector over the coming years.

“Winning such a major contract is a testament to the work that we have done over the years where we have delivered world-class logistics services across the energy industry while contributing to the economic growth of the communities in which we operate.”

Garry O’Malley, operations director at Teesworks, commented: “We are delighted to award the operating contract to ASCO who have a great deal of experience in port and terminal operations both in the UK and globally. The award of this contract also marks another milestone for the Teesworks site as it makes the transition to greener energy. ASCO as the quay operator will provide the operational expertise required to ensure service levels for users of this valuable asset are of the highest standard. This partnership will create up to 65 direct jobs providing more employment opportunities for the area.”


About ASCO:

ASCO is a leading materials management and logistics company for the global energy industry. Headquartered in Aberdeen, UK, ASCO operates from over 60 locations worldwide and employs c.1,500 people.

As the essential partner for global energy logistics and materials management, ASCO works with the world’s largest operators to deliver solutions that are underpinned by the group’s three pillars of safety, service excellence and sustainability. With digitalisation and modernisation at the heart of all operations, ASCO’s innovative processes and systems ensure the company is at the forefront of driving supply chain efficiency to support the energy transition.

ASCO Group Ltd (ASCO) is owned by Endless LLP.

To find out more, visit:  www.ascoworld.com



Covering 4,500 acres on the south bank of the River Tees in the North East of England, Teesworks is Europe’s largest brownfield development site, home to diverse, sustainable and low-carbon activity.

Teesworks is within the UK’s largest Freeport and has been set up to promote the economic growth and commercial development of the Tees Valley by converting assets in the South Tees area into opportunities for business investment and economic growth.

The Teesworks area is in the Borough of Redcar and Cleveland and includes the former SSI steelworks site as well as other industrial assets. The area benefits from river access and includes the deep-water port of Teesport, England’s largest exporting port.

Teesworks Ltd

Teesworks Ltd is a private/public partnership. The private partnership, primarily composed of local developers Chris Musgrave of JC Musgrave, and Martin Corney of Northern Land Management (90%). The remaining 10% is owned by the public-sector South Tees Development Corporation (STDC).